We can all agree that it's not easy to top human hair wigs' natural and effortless look. That is what makes them a popular choice among women. A human hair wig is an investment you want to wear for a long time. However, over time, human hair wigs inevitably begin to appear dull and become stiff and prone to frizz.
We decided its time to disclose our approach to making human hair wigs soft again. Continue reading to find out how to revitalize your hair wigs at home.
How To Make Your Human Hair Wigs Soft Again At Home?
Flaunt numerous hairstyles by making your wigs softer!
One of the biggest reasons human hair wigs become stiff, hard to style, dull, and unappealing is product and dirt accumulation. The most pivotal thing to do is to thoroughly wash your human hair wigs to make them soft and beautiful again.
Follow the detailed guide mentioned below and watch the difference our approach makes to your human hair wigs!
Prepping Your Human Hair Wigs Before Washing
- Whether you are styling or washing your human hair wigs, it's important to de-tangle them first. Begin from the ends and work upwards with a wide-tooth comb to reduce damage. NEVER BRUSH YOUR WIGS FROM ROOTS TO TIPS.
- To rejuvenate your hair wigs, we recommend using an Argan oil along the length before washing them. The oil will restore moisture and make your wigs healthy again.
Shampooing Your Human Hair Wigs
- The next step to making your wigs soft again is to ensure that you use a sulfate-free shampoo, focusing more on the roots.
- Dampen your wigs under lukewarm water and apply a sulfate-free shampoo to the hair's direction to prevent tangling.
- Rinse and repeat the step depending on how much dirt and product has accumulated on the strands.
Conditioning Your Human Hair Wigs
- After you've rinsed out the shampoo, treat your wigs to a moisturizing conditioner. Coat your wigs completely with a moisturizing conditioner, working your way to the tips. When wigs become stiff, dry, and lose their bounce, the nape and ends are generally the most obvious. Concentrate on those areas while conditioning them.
- Rinse the conditioner under cold water. It will help close the cuticles and retain moisture.
Drying Your Human Hair Wigs
- Place the wet hair wigs on towels and let the excess water drip out naturally. Then, gently pat the wigs with the towel and let them air dry. You could also place the wigs on wig stands. However, the towel method is convenient, and you don't have to deal with a wet surface.
- When your wigs are about 80% dry, apply a thin layer of Argan oil to minimize frizz, retain a lustrous shine, and keep them looking & feeling soft.
Storing Your Human Hair Wigs
- Once the wigs are completely dry, it's time to store them. If you are storing styled wigs, Styrofoam heads are the perfect way to retain the styles.
FAQs About Human Hair Wigs
FAQs about human hair wigs
Why Do Hair Wigs Become Dry & Brittle?
Your scalp generates a natural oil termed sebum that helps keep natural hair moisturized. Unfortunately, hair wigs do not have access to natural oils, which causes wigs to become dull and dry even with the best wig care.
Other factors that cause wigs to become brittle and dry:
- Prolonged sun exposure.
- Sea water.
- Hard water.
How Frequently Should You Wash Hair Wigs?
Washing and moisturizing your hair wigs every 8-10 wears is recommended. Every 6-8 wears if you routinely use heat-styling appliances and styling products on your hair wigs.
Pro Tip: Avoid applying the conditioner to the base as it could cause shedding, and use hair serums on the ends of your wigs since they are the driest.
Can You Wash Hair Wigs With Hot Water?
It is advisable to use lukewarm water while washing hair wigs. Hot water is known to dry out the strands and cause more frizz in wigs.
What's The Difference Between Traditional & Wig Shampoo?
Shampoos for wigs are designed to remove dirt, oil, and product accumulation without stripping the moisture from the strands. Traditional shampoos are loaded with drying agents like sulfate and alcohol. Since wigs don't have a natural source of oils like our natural hair, it's important to wash them with alcohol and sulfate-free shampoos.
Can You Dye Hair Wigs?
Yes, you can dye human hair wigs if they haven't been previously altered with chemicals. Virgin human hair wigs are the best because they're made with unprocessed hair. Dyeing wigs that aren't made with virgin hair will have mixed results and could permanently damage them.
How Do You Refresh Wigs Without Washing Them?
One of the quickest ways to refresh your hair wigs without washing them is with dry shampoo. It instantly soaks up the oil, dirt, and grease without needing to wash them.
As previously mentioned, human hair wigs are an investment, so you must know how to maintain them. No other hair enhancers can top the natural look and the effortless feel of human hair wigs!
So, use the information above as a guide to maintaining and making your hair wigs soft at home!
Need high-quality and low-maintenance hair wigs? Browse through our collection of wigs to shop for them! We also offer color customization. Contact us today.