How To Wash Hair Extensions And Wigs According To The Experts
For human hair extensions and wigs, you want them to stay looking as new as possible. You may already know that you need to wash and maintain your hair extensions and wigs, but some details can be complicated, such as how often to wash and which product to use.
We will explain how to wash hair extensions and wigs to assist you better with your at-home care.
How To Wash Hair Extensions & Wigs According To Experts
steps to washing hair extensions and wigs
You can't wash your hair extensions, and wigs like you do your natural hair if you want to keep them looking fresh and lustrous. These are the steps to follow to wash your hair extensions and wigs.
#1 Start By Detangling
Comb your extensions and wigs with a wide-tooth brush before getting them wet. This will help minimize shedding that might occur while washing them. Regardless of the texture or color of your hair extensions and wigs, ensure that you detangle from the ends and move upwards!
Pro Tip: Detangle the wefts individually and take your time with it.
#2 Washing Your Extensions & Wigs
You should use only lukewarm water to wash your hair extensions and wigs. While your hair extensions and wigs are damp, apply 2–3 pumps of moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo.
Rinse the shampoo out and distribute the sulfate-free conditioner from the mid-shaft to the ends of the extension and wigs. You must avoid applying conditioner near the weft and the bonds of the extensions and wigs to prevent them from looking greasy- also, hair extensions and wigs tend to be drier at the ends.
Wait for 10 minutes to allow the conditioner to seep into the strands, and before moving on to the next stage, rinse the hair well.
Note: Washing your extensions and wigs too aggressively, particularly near the lace or clip, will cause damage.
#3 Using A Hydrating Mask
Experts suggest using a hair mask once a month to keep your hair extensions and wigs moisturized and healthy. Wrap the wefts in a shower cap overnight to allow the mask to do its job. After each hair mask treatment, make sure they are thoroughly rinsed. Otherwise you'll wind up with stiff hair extensions and wigs.
Wring off any excess water and air- dry your hair extensions and wigs away from direct sunlight once you are done washing them.
Use a microfiber towel to remove the excess water quickly– it will dry your wigs and extensions and minimize tangles and breakage. Lay your extensions on a flat surface and pat them dry.
Alternatively, you can blow-dry your wigs and extensions, but make sure you use a heat protectant to prevent heat damage.
#5 Styling After Washing
After your hair extensions and wigs are washed and dried, it's time to style them! Spritz heat protectant serum and heat style them to achieve the desired look.
5 Tips To Increase Your Extensions & Wigs Lifespan
Increase Your Extensions & Wigs Lifespan
Now that you know how to wash extensions and wigs at home, they'll appear as good as new. Furthermore, there are various options for extending their lives so you can continue serving looks!
- Store your hair extensions and wigs properly when you're not wearing them. It will help retain the pattern and prevent tangles for wigs. It's best to keep them on wig stands and extensions in storage boxes or carrier bags.
- Even if you're wearing the best human hair extensions and wigs, you must steer clear of hot water, chlorine (from the pool), and saltwater– these 3 elements are detrimental to extensions and wigs and can dry out the strands and provoke breakage.
- Minimize the usage of heat-styling tools. Even with heat protectants, overuse of heat-styling tools can damage your hair extensions and wig! Experts advise choosing heat-less styles to prolong your unit's lifespan.
- Washing your extensions and wigs too frequently can cause more harm than good. Dry shampoos are a great way to avoid over washing them. They absorb excess oil and extend the wash time.
- Co-wash your extensions and wigs between regular washes for smoother, shinier results.
As we mentioned at the outset, you want your hair extensions and wigs to appear as beautiful as possible, and the precise procedures outlined above will help you achieve just that. Remember that sulfate-free hair care products should always be in your arsenal and whether you're washing or styling them, patience is crucial.
Whether you're searching for the best hair care products, hair extensions, or wigs, we have them all. Browse through Diva Divine’s Accessories Collection to get the best hair care products.